How TMJ Can Affect Your Everyday Life
VIP Dentistry is a leading Chino Hills dental practice that provides a wide array of general and cosmetic dentistry services. Our practice is focused on providing each of our patients with a true VIP experience. Whether you’re looking for veneers to improve the appearance of your smile or pediatric dental care for your children’s teeth, rest assured that we can provide you with the personalized, quality treatment you need and deserve.
We see many patients who deal with pain from TMJ disorder. The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge that connects the lower law to the skull, and assists with opening and closing the mouth.
TMJ disorder is commonly caused by a bad bite (poor occlusion). When someone has a bad bite, the chewing system attempts to correct it by distracting the lower jaw from the joints, causing the tearing of discs and muscle spasms. It is estimated that approximately 11 million Americans suffer from TMJ disorder with the majority being women. People suffering from TMJ disorder often complain of:
- Pain or tenderness of the jaw
- Aching pain in and around the ear
- Difficulty/discomfort while chewing
- Facial pain
- Muscle spasms
- Locking of the jaw joint, making it difficult to open or close the mouth
The Negative Effects on Your Everyday Life
If you suffer from TMJ disorder, your everyday life may be negatively affected in several ways.
- Feelings of Frustration & Defeat – If you’re in constant pain due to TMJ, you may feel frustrated and at wit’s end. Having to deal with a misaligned jaw, a bad bite and constant strain and stress on your muscles can make you feel completely overwhelmed, weary, and defeated. When you don’t feel good, it shows in the relationships you have with others both at work and at play as your crankiness and frustration are sure to rub off on the people you spend time with.
- Withdrawal From Regular Activities – When you’re living in pain and are tired & sluggish most of the time, it’s likely that you’ll withdraw and will avoid being around other people. This isolation can make you feel very lonely and can even lead to the development of an anxiety disorder or depression.
- Cumbersome Eating – When your mouth isn’t functioning as it should, eating can become unpleasant, cumbersome, and awkward. Your jaw may be making loud popping sounds whenever you eat plus the pain of having to chew can be difficult to bear.
- Lack of Sleep
When you’re having jaw or facial pain or headaches associated with TMJ, it can be very difficult to sleep at night. Even yawning can cause sharp pain in the face and jaw. Being unable to sleep well can negatively affect the relationships you have with family, friends and co-workers. Going without sleep can also affect your productivity at work as you may find it very difficult to stay focused on tasks.
Ask Your Chino Hills Dentist About TMJ Disorder
If you would like to schedule an appointment with us to find out if the symptoms you’re experiencing are due to TMJ, please contact us today to set up a consultation. Our Chino Hills dentist, Dr. Han will provide you with a proper diagnosis and personalized treatment plan to help you better cope with the symptoms you’re experiencing.