Relief for Temporomandibular Joint Disorders
If you experience chronic pain as a result of jaw discomfort, headaches, or earaches, you may be one of the 15 percent of Americans suffering from temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD/TMJ). The temporomandibular joints are located on either side of your head, and collaboratively work with muscles, discs, bones, and ligaments to move your jaw in proper formation for speaking and chewing. Dr. David S. Han and the team at VIP Dentistry have extensive experience with TMD conditions and can help you achieve tooth and jaw pain relief with comprehensive dental care and a customized treatment plan.
What Causes TMD/TMJ Disorders?
The painful and debilitating side effects of TMD and TMJ arise from misalignment with jaw muscles or the connecting joints themselves. Sometimes injury to the jaw area, the corresponding muscles, or the head and neck region can lead to chronic TMD pain. This is especially true for victims of whiplash or other heavy blows to the head and neck. There are many TMJ misconceptions, and it isn’t uncommon for patients to have it and not receive a proper diagnosis until they visit with a professional, experienced dentist such as Dr. Han. Here are some of the common symptoms of TMD:
- Pain in the facial region, especially headaches or earaches
- Discomfort associated with chewing or speaking
- Clicking or crackling noises that accompany jaw movement
- Grinding or clenching teeth while asleep or awake
- Frozen jaw episodes where the jaw is stuck in either an open or closed position
- Chipping teeth and worn flat front teeth
Most people who suffer from joint and head pain don’t realize the cause may be TMD. This pain is commonly caused by a poorly aligned bite, or poor occlusion. The muscles and joints in the mouth and jaw try to correct the problem by distracting the lower portion of the jaw from the connecting joints, causing tearing and muscle spasms, resulting in increased pain and pressure for patients. Dr. Han and the team at VIP Dentistry can help alleviate this pain with proper treatment.
Effective Treatment Options for TMD Relief
To effectively treat TMD, it’s important for patients to seek treatment from a dentist who has vast experience in this area. At VIP Dentistry, we take your health seriously. Dr. Han has built a practice that diligently works to provide healthy smiles and relief from teeth, mouth, and jaw pain. Our office utilizes the latest technology to ensure each of our patients achieves their dental goals and receives the satisfaction they deserve. Dr. Han provides a thorough examination and develops customized treatment plans that can help alleviate the following:
- Sensitive Teeth – Sore and sensitive teeth are common symptoms associated with TMD, often a result of clenching or grinding. Dr. Han performs an extensive evaluation to ensure the cause of your tooth sensitivity is properly diagnosed and treated.
- Bite Problems – Patients suffering from TMD often experience problems with their bite. Usually one or two teeth will predominate when the patient puts his or her teeth together. This causes excess stress and pressure on the jaw and teeth throughout the day as the patient talks and chews food. Dr. Han and the team at VIP Dentistry put the jaw and teeth back into proper alignment to ensure an accurate bite.
- Headaches – Headaches often accompany TMD because the muscles and joints in the jaw, neck, and head are working overtime to compensate for the unaligned bite. This causes strain, spasms, and severe headaches. If you are unsure if a misaligned jaw is causing your headache, please visit Dr. Han for a consultation.